Skip to main content

First the National Desk, now the National Press


According to Axios, Sinclair is taking to Substack to launch a new news service using material from all of its stations.   It owns KOMO, KATU  and KVAL in the PNW:

Sinclair, one of the nation's largest local broadcast groups, is launching a subscription-focused, national news brand on Substack called The National Press, executives told Axios.

Why it matters: It's a huge bet for the family-controlled local news giant as it looks to build trust and loyalty among users beyond the TV screen.

Comments

  1. Don't forget KIMA in Yakima and KEPR in the Tri-Cities Wayne along with KLEW in Lewiston, KBOI in Boise and some in Montana also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think RINCON is also running those stations, so I left them out. Not to hip on Idaho and Montana, lol.

      Delete
  2. This is a very interesting move. I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m initially skeptical but if this can be a strictly down the middle presentation I could interested. I presently read the NY times, Seattle Times and what ever looks interesting online. Thinking of subscribing to the Wall Street Journal but there’s only so much time in a day

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATED: Seattle TV Weather Wizard's Finale

Her goodbye post below! After an almost five-year stint, FOX 13 meteorologist and part-time news anchor Abby Acone ends her run there with a final show on this Sunday morning.  Married earlier this month, she left no word on what's next.  Not sure if it is fully her decision, but I'm told she had 'favored nation' status with news management.  Before joining 13 in December of 2021, she worked three years at KOMO and also did a stint in Tri-Cities. Fittingly, this last shot on IG is studio appropriate.    I've been frequently critical of her on this site for using the station's studio to post questionable videos (IMO), but for now, good luck.   Here's Abby's goodbye post: My heart is so full as I reflect on my final week at FOX 13 ❤️ 🥹 I’m incredibly grateful for my time here and for the remarkable people who made this place feel like home. I’ve had the joy of working alongside some of the most talented, hardworking, and genuinely wonderful people in th...

Rebecca Stevenson has left KOMO

 "I am no longer at Komo 4." Thanks.  Longtime Weather Anchor Rebecca Stevenson confirms that she left the station just before Christmas.  Her last Facebook posts are 12/17.  She has the Seattle station Quintafecta, having worked at the old NWCN, KING, KIRO, KCPQ and KOMO.  Looks like her decision.  Wants a new chapter.   She was doing mainly weekend evenings for KOMO.  Perhaps Stella Sun will move there.   She has been sharing weekend mornings with Theron Zahn.    

Where is Frankie?

Many have missed KIRO 7's weekend PM weather anchor, Frankie Katafias, so I reached out to some of my sources to find an answer.    She is apparently taking a few months of leave, but not known specifically what the reason may be.  Although there is uncertainty, it could be a personal or family matter.   I am told she is expected back at some point in the new year.  She is a great asset to what has become a troubled station.  Meanwhile former KOIN Portland chief met holds down the fort.