Skip to main content

We now know the number!




During a sit-down post-season interview with the Seattle Times, owner John Stanton revealed that Mariners TV had 120,000 subscribers this year.  As far as I am aware this is the first time that number has been public.   And the question is, will it decline after this season's disappointment.   Not sure how to quantify streaming data.   BTW, Seattle is market 13 with 2.1 million TV households but those signups could be coming from hither and yon.  Also have seen nothing from KING on viewership and probably won't.   



Comments

  1. I have not seen the number either anywhere else Wayne but I will say that subscriber number is probably not where they want it to be and worse, I'd expect it will decline next year. That number BTW may just be the people that are paying to directly stream it through MLB as opposed to folks who are getting it on the local cable/satellite/streamers that offer the channel in their lineups, which I get it this way through DirecTV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's his answer from the Times story:

    "We’re going to do everything we can to deliver for them. And I should note, the 120,000 fans that are on streaming (Mariners TV) with us, as well as those who are watching on our MLB, TV and our association with King-5 TV — all those fans matter to me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Stanton was at one time a sought after Republican candidate for governor or congress, my guess is that he doesn't field many calls to run, now that he is the face of the Mariners ownership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right but at least Stanton is willing to do interviews with reporters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gwzrbD42XA&t=5s. This is Paul Silvi's interview w/Stanton from Tuesday and I do have to say that while quite a few of the comments on this clip criticized Silvi for how he conducted the interview, I thought Silvi FWIW did a fine job. That said I would hope Stanton would also consider doing sit-down interviews with "unfriendly" media (Aaron Levine, Dave Mahler/KJR in general, Divish in an unrestricted, unfiltered format, podcast guys) also.

      Overall, I'd say the media in Seattle has been hit or miss on how they have treated Dipoto/ownership the past 48 hours for this disastrous end to the season. It really boils down to how an outlet/reporter has viewed them in the past is how they are covering them now. Many fans want to see the local media take a harder line on the team so we'll see how that goes in the coming weeks and months.

      Delete
  4. Already canceled my renewal for 2027

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does that number include people who watched on cable? That’s the way i watched. It was a tough watch, but nothing compared to the 64 Philies collapse

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rebecca Stevenson has left KOMO

 "I am no longer at Komo 4." Thanks.  Longtime Weather Anchor Rebecca Stevenson confirms that she left the station just before Christmas.  Her last Facebook posts are 12/17.  She has the Seattle station Quintafecta, having worked at the old NWCN, KING, KIRO, KCPQ and KOMO.  Looks like her decision.  Wants a new chapter.   She was doing mainly weekend evenings for KOMO.  Perhaps Stella Sun will move there.   She has been sharing weekend mornings with Theron Zahn.    

UPDATED: Seattle TV Weather Wizard's Finale

Her goodbye post below! After an almost five-year stint, FOX 13 meteorologist and part-time news anchor Abby Acone ends her run there with a final show on this Sunday morning.  Married earlier this month, she left no word on what's next.  Not sure if it is fully her decision, but I'm told she had 'favored nation' status with news management.  Before joining 13 in December of 2021, she worked three years at KOMO and also did a stint in Tri-Cities. Fittingly, this last shot on IG is studio appropriate.    I've been frequently critical of her on this site for using the station's studio to post questionable videos (IMO), but for now, good luck.   Here's Abby's goodbye post: My heart is so full as I reflect on my final week at FOX 13 ❤️ 🥹 I’m incredibly grateful for my time here and for the remarkable people who made this place feel like home. I’ve had the joy of working alongside some of the most talented, hardworking, and genuinely wonderful people in th...

Where is Frankie?

Many have missed KIRO 7's weekend PM weather anchor, Frankie Katafias, so I reached out to some of my sources to find an answer.    She is apparently taking a few months of leave, but not known specifically what the reason may be.  Although there is uncertainty, it could be a personal or family matter.   I am told she is expected back at some point in the new year.  She is a great asset to what has become a troubled station.  Meanwhile former KOIN Portland chief met holds down the fort.