Skip to main content

The 'Dark Side' of TV?



I note from the cable grid that KOMO is airing a new temporary show at 3 pm Tuesday and Wednesday prior to the Seahawks opener.  It's called The Dark Side: A Podcast on the Seattle Seahawks featuring two stars from the team's 'Dark Side' defense, as it's called.  Derick Hall and Byron Murphy will join Sports Director Niko Tamurian.   Interesting that KOMO puts it up against KING's The Ultimate Seattle Sports Show on Tuesday and K5 News Weds trying to get a piece of the pre-game action.   Game is on 👑 Weds.

The station is also adding 'Seattle Refined' replays this week to fill the 2-3 pm void left behind by cancellation of Kelly Clarkson's show, to be replaced next week by Drew Barrymore's talk fest.

Comments

  1. Is KOMO just trying to get in on the Seahawks season opening hype, or might they be testing the waters for a sports show of their own? KING seems to be doing quite well with The Ultimate Seattle Sports Show at 3pm. KOMO may have secured Drew Barrymore to replace Kelly Clarkson at 2pm, allowing the current 3pm hour of Seattle Refined and KOMO News at 3:30 to remain intact. But how will Barrymore's show last? Daytime talk is on its way out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they could sustain it five days a week. Tamurian already doing so much as a one man operation. I could see it added when KOMO/ABC has MNF during the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd agree Wayne. KOMO doing their own sports thing they'd need to hire additional staff to make that work five days a week and they'd still finish third behind KING and Fox 13 in the ratings for such a show. I myself am not a big fan of Tamurian but he is the hardest working sports reporter in town considering he is a one man band

      Delete
    2. Rhett, I think Niko works really hard, too hard probably to keep KOMO above water in just the sports side. If he is doing weekends and the pod with Daniels and this pod and shooting and editing his work, it is not a pretty sight!

      Delete
    3. I agree with Rhett that Niko is the hardest working sports reporter in town. But I also agree with Wayne that he may be working too hard. He is KOMO's only official sports reporter, and there are a growing number of sports stories to cover in this market. It is simply too much for him to keep up with, despite his very best efforts. He is running the risk of suffering from a case of burnout. This goes double if the Sonics really do make a comeback, and that is becoming increasingly likely. KOMO needs to make it a priority to hire an additional sports reporter, whether on-staff or as a freelancer, to lift some of the weight off of Niko's shoulders.

      Delete
    4. I'd argue IDC that KOMO at this point probably needs to hire at least two to cover the increasing workload

      Delete
  3. I do not understand the reason behind cutting sports down to one person at KOMO. This is a major sports market. And yes, about to become even bigger again when the Sonics return. Even the smaller Sinclair station in Portland has a two person sports department. Niko must get run ragged trying to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KOMO claims to be #1 in news ratings in a majority of time slots, according to a strong source, so they must not worry about how sports affects them. When KING and FOX have so many partnerships with teams, KOMO has Niko on the run with Chris Daniels adding a half body, so to speak with the business of sports, just to get the best slice of the action as possible, plus KIRO is far, far worse. Easy for them to be third in sports, right. They must feel like those two guys, plus two podcasts now are all they need.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATED: Seattle TV Weather Wizard's Finale

Her goodbye post below! After an almost five-year stint, FOX 13 meteorologist and part-time news anchor Abby Acone ends her run there with a final show on this Sunday morning.  Married earlier this month, she left no word on what's next.  Not sure if it is fully her decision, but I'm told she had 'favored nation' status with news management.  Before joining 13 in December of 2021, she worked three years at KOMO and also did a stint in Tri-Cities. Fittingly, this last shot on IG is studio appropriate.    I've been frequently critical of her on this site for using the station's studio to post questionable videos (IMO), but for now, good luck.   Here's Abby's goodbye post: My heart is so full as I reflect on my final week at FOX 13 ❤️ 🥹 I’m incredibly grateful for my time here and for the remarkable people who made this place feel like home. I’ve had the joy of working alongside some of the most talented, hardworking, and genuinely wonderful people in th...

Rebecca Stevenson has left KOMO

 "I am no longer at Komo 4." Thanks.  Longtime Weather Anchor Rebecca Stevenson confirms that she left the station just before Christmas.  Her last Facebook posts are 12/17.  She has the Seattle station Quintafecta, having worked at the old NWCN, KING, KIRO, KCPQ and KOMO.  Looks like her decision.  Wants a new chapter.   She was doing mainly weekend evenings for KOMO.  Perhaps Stella Sun will move there.   She has been sharing weekend mornings with Theron Zahn.    

Where is Frankie?

Many have missed KIRO 7's weekend PM weather anchor, Frankie Katafias, so I reached out to some of my sources to find an answer.    She is apparently taking a few months of leave, but not known specifically what the reason may be.  Although there is uncertainty, it could be a personal or family matter.   I am told she is expected back at some point in the new year.  She is a great asset to what has become a troubled station.  Meanwhile former KOIN Portland chief met holds down the fort.