The on-air debut of KOMO's new "The Dark Side Podcast on the Seattle Seahawks" was dripping with the Toyota Sponsorship, including linebacker Derick Hall actually reading a sales script off a prompter screen at one point with a huge Toyota graphic on the side wall and a Toyota branded water bottle in the background. Host Niko Tamurian even had a Toyota placard behind him on single shots. We know Hall has 'big truck energy' from 'Hard Knocks', so there were ample mentions between him and the host about the Toyota Tundra and Toyota Tacoma. It was essentially an internal commercial. I thought it was a bit over the line for Tamurian pushing the product directly himself. But it's sports, so OK, I guess. I wonder where this program idea came from? Was it Hall's and his relationship with Toyota trucks//dealers? The sales department? Or Niko? Or all of the above? Seemed awfully close to a 'pay for play.'
I can't say I got anything out of it at all. The player-speak was like listening to them at a usual press conference. Byron Murphy was overshadowed by Hall. But nothing new or deep from either. I would have liked one question about all the foul language we saw in the HBO series and how the players felt about as it relates to young fans. But no, it was all softballs, as expected when dealing with players.
From what I see, this is a podcast play only anyway, not destined to be on linear KOMO, except for the two airings at 3 this week. Find it on YouTube, Spotify and the usual suspects.
It is what it is, just another podcast, one at least that will make the station some money. I hope Niko gets a cut.


Comments
Post a Comment