Well, that didn't take long.
Recently departed Fox 13 weather wizard Abby Acone has gone to the dark side, joining KING5 as an account executive. It certainly gives her a M-F schedule, no holiday work, more time with her new spouse, etc., but it's a whole new world to sell linear and streaming, so we'll see, although her personality and popularity will likely attract some clients to make buys.
Here's here post on social:
"So excited to share I’m joining the KING 5 team here in Seattle! ☀️ After 14 years on air in TV news, I’m stepping into a new role as an Account Executive on the sales team.
I grew up watching KING 5 around the dinner table, so supporting this station feels like a full-circle moment.
In the last several months, I’ve reflected a lot on what’s next for me. This role is the perfect blend of everything I love the most: relationship building, storytelling, and strategic communication. This was at the core of my work as a journalist and meteorologist—and now, as an account executive.
As a hugely entrepreneurial person, I couldn’t be happier to help local, regional, and Fortune 500 companies grow and reach their goals via advertising solutions. If your company is looking to scale, I’d love to connect and see how we can support you.
On a personal level, this next step also means more time with my wife as we build our family in the years ahead 🥹
I’m so grateful for my time as a TV journalist. I’m deeply appreciative of all my former news colleagues and the viewers who’ve supported me along the way. Thank you, Seattle, for an incredible run on-air. Now let’s sell some advertising. 😊"
Interestingly, it's the second time in recent weeks that Tegna has taken a news person and put them in sales, preceded by former KREM Spokane ND Jessie Kane, who moved to the sales team there.
Abby will be popular with clients because of her on-air work, so we will see it this works. And how long will it take for KING to ask her to do fill-in weather, especially around the holidays, when she is the new kid on the block and advertisers go silent. She would have to join AFTRA, because 13 was non union.
And this gives Abby the Seattle TV Trifecta. KOMO, 13 and KING. Catching up with Rebecca Stevenson who has the pentafecta.

Good for her trying something new, and there's a lot brighter future in sales (with skills you can take to new industries) than TV weather. I hope she realizes sales, though, is a grind. I've had family who've worked in both the newsroom and on the account team and neither is easy. But what job is? I guess that's why they call it work!
ReplyDeleteCongrats to Abby on her new job!
ReplyDelete