Skip to main content

Things Keep 'Looking Up' for this Seattle anchor, despite boarding the Arc!





KOMO News morning Holly Menino still made to look subordinate to Patrick Hussion.  She might be asking "How's the smoke up there, Pat?"   Ridiculous to insist on this two-shot.  Does anybody in management watch this show?

Meanwhile, saw NO traffic reporting at 6 Thursday morning on KOMO.   Tyrah Majors had that gig before leaving for KIRO.   Has the station cut back on traffic??

Not to mention that Menino has apparently added co-anchoring duties with Steve McCarron on ARC Seattle, following Majors departure.   Have seen no announcement.   Still not balanced. 

Comments

  1. I got the feeling from how abruptly Majors jumped ship to KIRO that KOMO may have been caught off guard by her intent to leave. Regardless of whether this feeling is accurate or not, KOMO does need to find a new traffic reporter. With school starting well before Labor Day in many districts across the region these days, time is running out for KOMO to have someone in place in time.

    As for Menino, KOMO is really doing her a disservice with the poor camera angles they are using. She should be an equal to Hussion and McCarron on the morning team, and while I have no doubt that she is, these poor camera angles do make it appear as though she isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m surprised any station still wastes money on a traffic anchor. Nobody who commutes gets their traffic information from television. There are so many real-time traffic apps maps on smartphones it’s a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It eats up a lot of time on a morning show with little effort, but I still think it has value. If you're watching, you can get a good heads up without your phone

      Delete
    2. Indeed you can. And they can provide info and context that an app might not be able to. Its also timely and relevant information that people might want to know before they hit the road.

      Delete
    3. Exactly IDC. And KOMO I think can easily contract out for this with Total Traffic or whoever it is that provides the radio stations in town their traffic coverage. Years ago, IIRC, TV stations in the market were doing exactly this before they all brought their coverage in-house

      Delete
  3. Considering most TV news viewers are likely retired… waste of time

    ReplyDelete
  4. We miss Tyra at Komo. The station is got rid of the traffic anchor position. So don’t expect to see a job posting for this. We were told viewers are not getting their traffic from TV on a daily basis, but we still need to cover the big incidents. More work for the anchors now.

    Tyra was offered to stay as a reporter but declined. Rumor is Kiro made an offer Komo couldn’t compete with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I was KOMO, I wouldn't have tried to compete with KIRO's offer. The new ND was trying to steal someone from the competion who had designs on building her journalistic resume in addition to her Instagram modeling shots. Not a huge loss in the scheme of things, IMHO. She was never going to anchor news on the mother ship and if traffic was on the outs, let her leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd agree Wayne but to me the idea that Sinclair cutting traffic out of their morning news it would seem like they are ceding something to the competition especially as the other stations still offer that on their broadcasts. If that is the case especially as I suspect they could perhaps have worked with the radio stations' traffic provider to provide that coverage to KOMO on a contract basis, I'd call that a mistake on Sinclair's part IMO

      Delete
    2. KOMO is one of the leanest newsrooms in town, but still consistently competes and shows up. I’d say traffic is a position that isn’t a necessity in 2026, but Tyrah brought anchor fill in and ARC duties to the table that now have to be picked up by other very busy anchors and reporters. I think I’d bring in another sports anchor before traffic. Niko is trying to do as much coverage as one person as channels 5 and 13 do with 2-3 people, and at some point that’s not possible for him. KOMO and KIRO also have smaller weather teams than KING and Q.

      Delete
    3. I think a freelancer is all KOMO needs to help Niko get thru the end of baseball, the hugh season of football, and the Kraken start. After that it does become more manageable. Really a young MMJ could be an easy answer.

      Delete
    4. I agree with Rhett that KOMO cutting traffic of their morning news is a serious mistake. It will weaken their morning newscast greatly not to have regular traffic reports and a dedicated traffic reporter, especially in a market with as much traffic congestion as Seattle. Traffic is often bad here (often some of the worst traffic anywhere in the United States and North America), and it only seems to get worse with time.

      As for sports, I agree that KOMO should bring in a freelancer to help Niko cover the very busy months of sports that lie ahead. I have no doubt that he will do his best to cover as much as he can, but there is only so much that one person can do.

      Delete
  6. I'm reaching out to confirm this traffic thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last time KOMO had a dedicated traffic reporter (or two) was Ted Potter and Paul Tosch who contributed both to radio and TV. If you think traffic is that bad, you might want to know that it was far worse during the oil crisis and the Boeing bust during the 1970s. You would be lucky if there was an open gas station in your neck of the woods otherwise you would have to drive out for miles to find gas. As far as KOMO bringing in a freelancer to help out Niko, that is going to be unlikely as they had never more than three (including a photog who was primarily assigned to sports) people on staff. Either way, they already have a de-facto sports person on staff and with a fancy National Correspondent title in Chris Daniels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rebecca Stevenson has left KOMO

 "I am no longer at Komo 4." Thanks.  Longtime Weather Anchor Rebecca Stevenson confirms that she left the station just before Christmas.  Her last Facebook posts are 12/17.  She has the Seattle station Quintafecta, having worked at the old NWCN, KING, KIRO, KCPQ and KOMO.  Looks like her decision.  Wants a new chapter.   She was doing mainly weekend evenings for KOMO.  Perhaps Stella Sun will move there.   She has been sharing weekend mornings with Theron Zahn.    

UPDATED: Seattle TV Weather Wizard's Finale

Her goodbye post below! After an almost five-year stint, FOX 13 meteorologist and part-time news anchor Abby Acone ends her run there with a final show on this Sunday morning.  Married earlier this month, she left no word on what's next.  Not sure if it is fully her decision, but I'm told she had 'favored nation' status with news management.  Before joining 13 in December of 2021, she worked three years at KOMO and also did a stint in Tri-Cities. Fittingly, this last shot on IG is studio appropriate.    I've been frequently critical of her on this site for using the station's studio to post questionable videos (IMO), but for now, good luck.   Here's Abby's goodbye post: My heart is so full as I reflect on my final week at FOX 13 ❤️ 🥹 I’m incredibly grateful for my time here and for the remarkable people who made this place feel like home. I’ve had the joy of working alongside some of the most talented, hardworking, and genuinely wonderful people in th...

Where is Frankie?

Many have missed KIRO 7's weekend PM weather anchor, Frankie Katafias, so I reached out to some of my sources to find an answer.    She is apparently taking a few months of leave, but not known specifically what the reason may be.  Although there is uncertainty, it could be a personal or family matter.   I am told she is expected back at some point in the new year.  She is a great asset to what has become a troubled station.  Meanwhile former KOIN Portland chief met holds down the fort.