Skip to main content

Seattle columnist Quits; media rallies support



7.

Matt Calkins, who resigned from the Seattle Times today because a column transgender athletes was spiked by his bosses, posted more on Substack, but it may have been deleted.  Meanwhile, he is getting good support from media observers

https://x.com/i/trending/2090496802487201837

From Aaron Levine of Fox 13:

"Matt has never shied away from tackling some of the hottest-button issues and I give him tons of credit for that.

Wishing you nothing but the best going forward, Matt, and truly appreciate and admire the full explanation in your Substack." 


From John Canzano, Portland Sports pundit

"No point in having a columnist if you're spiking columns. This Seattle Times v. Matt Calkins mess blew up like a hand grenade." 


From longtime Seattle sports radio host Dave Grosby:

"Integrity, character.  You have it.  We'll miss it." 


And from one of the interviewees:

Thank you, @Matt_Calkins . I was one of the female athletes you interviewed, and I truly appreciate the way you treated me. You were fair, listened to my story without judgment, and wanted to share my experience—even when The Seattle Times refused to let it be heard.

@seattletimes deserves to be called out. It has become a left-wing rag that suppresses stories and viewpoints that challenge its preferred political narrative. Even at 17, I can see eerie similarities to what we’ve learned in history class about communism, censorship, and the control of information.

To think that a 17-year-old female athlete and her story could be considered a threat to a powerful media machine like The Seattle Times shows that we have them against the ropes. We need to keep punching.

I won’t quit, and I’m asking all of you to help deliver the knockout punch this November: Vote YES on Initiative 638.

Thank you, Matt, for having the guts it takes and standing by your principles, refusing to participate in this censorship and giving female athletes a voice. 

Comments

  1. I’ve never been a fan of the Seattle Times starting with the attempt to run the P I into the ground. The owners of the paper have a right to a point of view, however they should not suppress information because they don’t like the subject.
    The trans issue is a political red herring. If people would just look at the numbers,they would realize it’s not an issue that really matters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rebecca Stevenson has left KOMO

 "I am no longer at Komo 4." Thanks.  Longtime Weather Anchor Rebecca Stevenson confirms that she left the station just before Christmas.  Her last Facebook posts are 12/17.  She has the Seattle station Quintafecta, having worked at the old NWCN, KING, KIRO, KCPQ and KOMO.  Looks like her decision.  Wants a new chapter.   She was doing mainly weekend evenings for KOMO.  Perhaps Stella Sun will move there.   She has been sharing weekend mornings with Theron Zahn.    

Where is Frankie?

Many have missed KIRO 7's weekend PM weather anchor, Frankie Katafias, so I reached out to some of my sources to find an answer.    She is apparently taking a few months of leave, but not known specifically what the reason may be.  Although there is uncertainty, it could be a personal or family matter.   I am told she is expected back at some point in the new year.  She is a great asset to what has become a troubled station.  Meanwhile former KOIN Portland chief met holds down the fort.

A Major change for Majors!

Tyrah Majors, KOMO morning traffic anchor and ARC Seattle co-host is entering the transfer portal, joining the KIRO morning news team on July 5 per her post on Instagram. Her last day at KOMO is June 26.   It's the first big anchor move by 7's new news boss.  Plus previously adding Nia Bliss (Wong-ex Fox 13) and Heather Bosch freelance (ex-Kiro radio).  Interesting to see exactly what her role there will be.  KIRO has a morning traffic anchor and an established news team in Dee Dee and Linzi plus Nick Allard on weather.    Waiting to hear more.    Majors also said she will continue teaching at Seattle U.     I have not been impressed by her work on ARC. Steve McCarron has carried her along. She's a strong brand builder, however.   You can search my previous posts about her on the site.   Could this also signal the end of ARC? I posted last week that a major move was going to happen in the market.  KING ...