Skip to main content

No Tyrah, No Traffic?


Can confirm that with the departure to KIRO by KOMO traffic reporter Tyrah Majors, the station has decided, at least for now, to forego daily anchored traffic reports in the morning, presumably leaving traffic issues to news anchors and computer generated images as needed.  Plus, they can always call up WSDOT and SDOT cams.   How much you wanna bet Live Desker Steve McCarron is picked? 

How this will change when school resumes and the weather worsens remains to be seen, but it appears smartphone maps, alerts and whatever is available is jumping over on-camera traffic.  They do have a KOMO Traffic Hub online.   

Meanwhile, Fox has the dean of Seattle TV traffic Adam Gehrke, KING has Shante Sumpter, and KIRO has relative newcomer Paola Tristan Arruda.     One thing a sharp reader mentioned was that traffic apps don't add context, but a dedicated anchor can.  Good point, but could AI be chosen to fill that gap???  Could this be a trial run to see if it is at all missed by viewers?   We shall see.

I still think having someone specifically on top of traffic has value, especially when major events/accidents/fires cause significant disruptions.   Interestingly, KIRO can dispatch Tyrah to those as well as having the in-studio component.  Double header.

BTW, I killed morning  Metro Traffic Reports at NWCN in 2005-06.   Just didn't work for regional cable with serving multiple markets.   On the other hand, when I started the regional cable channel in the DC Metro in 91, we pioneered using traffic cams and completely changed the market's approach on TV.

Comments

  1. As an aside, I see Jennifer Dowling doing a competent job covering weather at KIRO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who hasn't? Ottille, Raju, Brandon, Thompson and now her? Sheesh. Nice versatility, no credibility.

      Delete
    2. When did Dowling join KIRO? She is still listed on Fox 13's "Meet the Team" page.

      Delete
    3. Maybe he meant Fox weather??

      Delete
    4. He probably did. I've seen Jen doing weather on Q13 and she handled it last weekend for them. I'm guessing with Torres no longer there to be the station's jack of all trades, Dowling has effectively replaced Nikki in that role

      Delete
    5. That makes sense. I've also Jen do the weather for Fox 13 in the past.

      Delete
  2. Total Traffic has pretty much eliminated on-air traffic reporters due to iHeart's ongoing budget slashing. They have all but two or three folks in the iHeart building here in Seattle with most being filed by their operations manager and their #2. Also, for those wondering, KOMO-TV was the first station in the area that introduced DOT cameras here and incorporated them into their traffic reports on TV. Elisa Jaffe is the one you should give credit since she used the then-new technology for a story back in 1989. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I understanding this right? KOMO had a major role in WSDOT's introduction of traffic cameras?

      Delete
  3. I don’t know if you ever actually watched Tyrah do traffic, but she offered no context, just read a map, and poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tyrah is the most overrated on air person in the market. Look at me approach with zero substance. The opposite of Adam who is GREAT and is a must watch in the morning for those of us who do commute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Her IG posts are loaded with that approach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stand corrected. It was FOX13 that I saw Jennifer covering the weather.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rebecca Stevenson has left KOMO

 "I am no longer at Komo 4." Thanks.  Longtime Weather Anchor Rebecca Stevenson confirms that she left the station just before Christmas.  Her last Facebook posts are 12/17.  She has the Seattle station Quintafecta, having worked at the old NWCN, KING, KIRO, KCPQ and KOMO.  Looks like her decision.  Wants a new chapter.   She was doing mainly weekend evenings for KOMO.  Perhaps Stella Sun will move there.   She has been sharing weekend mornings with Theron Zahn.    

UPDATED: Seattle TV Weather Wizard's Finale

Her goodbye post below! After an almost five-year stint, FOX 13 meteorologist and part-time news anchor Abby Acone ends her run there with a final show on this Sunday morning.  Married earlier this month, she left no word on what's next.  Not sure if it is fully her decision, but I'm told she had 'favored nation' status with news management.  Before joining 13 in December of 2021, she worked three years at KOMO and also did a stint in Tri-Cities. Fittingly, this last shot on IG is studio appropriate.    I've been frequently critical of her on this site for using the station's studio to post questionable videos (IMO), but for now, good luck.   Here's Abby's goodbye post: My heart is so full as I reflect on my final week at FOX 13 ❤️ 🥹 I’m incredibly grateful for my time here and for the remarkable people who made this place feel like home. I’ve had the joy of working alongside some of the most talented, hardworking, and genuinely wonderful people in th...

Where is Frankie?

Many have missed KIRO 7's weekend PM weather anchor, Frankie Katafias, so I reached out to some of my sources to find an answer.    She is apparently taking a few months of leave, but not known specifically what the reason may be.  Although there is uncertainty, it could be a personal or family matter.   I am told she is expected back at some point in the new year.  She is a great asset to what has become a troubled station.  Meanwhile former KOIN Portland chief met holds down the fort.