Longtime Seattle sportscaster Elise Woodward has been named the new voice of UW football. The university announced the promotion:
"University of Washington Athletics and Learfield's Huskies Sports Properties announce the hiring of Elise Woodward as the new radio play-by-play voice of Husky Football. Woodward moves up to the booth after more than two decades of reporting on Husky Football from the sidelines.'
From Elise: "This is such an honor and a dream come true. I love Husky football to my core. Every game for the last 23 seasons as the sideline reporter, I am filled with gratitude for the chance to cover these great athletes at my alma mater.
New role, same passion. LFG DAWGS!! 💜💜💜"
Woodward is also the play-by-play announcer for the Portland Fire of the WNBA, but will reportedly not be tapped for the UW roundball job. We shall see.
She replaces Tony Castricone, who left for an NFL play-by-play job with Tampa Bay.
Congrats to Elise.

The reax I am seeing on social media it seems like the UW made the right choice here especially when you consider she had spent almost a quarter-century working the sidelines for the radio broadcasts before this promotion and she has been loyal to the school for a lot of years - she herself is a former Husky athlete. So good luck to Elise on this new opportunity and go Dawgs! The basketball job is still open - Castricone also called men's basketball for the UW - and this is one of the potential opportunities I was referring to for Kevin Calabro when I mentioned this in a comment on the news about him last week here. So we will see what happens. Elise would be a natural fit as well there with her calling WNBA games for the past many years both in Seattle and now in Portland.
ReplyDeleteWith your insights and mine, we need to be doing a podcast. Elise could easily handle roundball. I wonder if Kevin would like college. But it would put him back home here.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteCongratulations to Elise on her promotion! Much deserved!
ReplyDelete