Skip to main content

Ex ESPN guy out in PDX





According to early reports, Neil Everett, who left ESPN co-anchor slot to join the Portland Trailblazers broadcast team is apparently our, despite back-to-back Emmy wins as best sportscaster in the PNW.  Local Seattle guys like Chris Egan of KING and Niko Tamurian of KOMO have not welcome him as a competitor in the awards entries.  He never showed up at the awards dinners either.  Carpetbagger.

In addition to Everett, Michael Holton,Tom Haberstroh and Jamie Hudson out as the new owner puts the hammer down.

Everett had a great run on the late SportsCenter from L.A. teaming with Stan Verrett before leaving for PDX.

Comments

  1. This appears to be just another example of the type of behavior Tom Dundon, the new owner, has been engaging in which has shown him to fans and the movers and shakers down there to be very cheap, and it is causing concern on a couple of levels down there about the future of the team in Portland. But Dundon has been known to do this as well with his NHL team he owns (the Carolina Hurricanes). John Forslund, the Kraken TV announcer, can most likely attest to this. Part of why he is now here in Seattle is he and Dundon could not agree on a new deal several years ago for Forslund to stay as the Hurricanes announcer. And worse, he also eliminated separate radio and TV broadcasts for that team so with respect to the Blazers, if I am someone like Kevin Calabro, I'm paying close attention to all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yup. It is. Portland radio host John Canzano discussed this on his BaldFacedTruth Unfiltered YouTube show/podcast today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IYc2IetWwU&t=147s

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear of Everett's ouster from the Portland Trailblazers, as well as the ousters of Hudson, Holton, and Haberstroh. It is evident that Dundon wants to completley reshape the broadcast team, which he has the right to do as the team's new owner. However, in doing so, he is letting go of good people and leaving a sour taste in the mouths of fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would refer you to my comment above IDC but I am in full agreement with this. I should add there have been additional developments. Longtime Blazer beat guy Jason Quick from The Athletic is reporting on X that both Calabro and the radio PxP guy, fella by the name of Travis Demers, are also out. https://x.com/jwquick/status/2080014031864406124 for Calabro and https://x.com/jwquick/status/2079990778580058295 for Demers. Demers could be back but Calabro for sure is gone in the same fashion it appears Forslund left the Hurricanes to ultimately come work for the Kraken

      Delete
    2. Hi Rhett! I saw your comment above, and I do share your concerns about what Dundon is doing. Just because he can run things on the cheap and reshape the broadcast team doesn't mean he should.

      I'm also sorry to hear that Calabro and Demers have now also lost their jobs. A very dark day for sports broadcasting in Portland.

      Delete
  4. You nailed it. Gonna refer to your comment in post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and FYI Wayne it's Tom, not Tim Dundon

      Delete
    2. O and I too close on the keyboard for fat thumbs.. Thanks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rebecca Stevenson has left KOMO

 "I am no longer at Komo 4." Thanks.  Longtime Weather Anchor Rebecca Stevenson confirms that she left the station just before Christmas.  Her last Facebook posts are 12/17.  She has the Seattle station Quintafecta, having worked at the old NWCN, KING, KIRO, KCPQ and KOMO.  Looks like her decision.  Wants a new chapter.   She was doing mainly weekend evenings for KOMO.  Perhaps Stella Sun will move there.   She has been sharing weekend mornings with Theron Zahn.    

Where is Frankie?

Many have missed KIRO 7's weekend PM weather anchor, Frankie Katafias, so I reached out to some of my sources to find an answer.    She is apparently taking a few months of leave, but not known specifically what the reason may be.  Although there is uncertainty, it could be a personal or family matter.   I am told she is expected back at some point in the new year.  She is a great asset to what has become a troubled station.  Meanwhile former KOIN Portland chief met holds down the fort.

UPDATED: Seattle TV Weather Wizard's Finale

Her goodbye post below! After an almost five-year stint, FOX 13 meteorologist and part-time news anchor Abby Acone ends her run there with a final show on this Sunday morning.  Married earlier this month, she left no word on what's next.  Not sure if it is fully her decision, but I'm told she had 'favored nation' status with news management.  Before joining 13 in December of 2021, she worked three years at KOMO and also did a stint in Tri-Cities. Fittingly, this last shot on IG is studio appropriate.    I've been frequently critical of her on this site for using the station's studio to post questionable videos (IMO), but for now, good luck.   Here's Abby's goodbye post: My heart is so full as I reflect on my final week at FOX 13 ❤️ 🥹 I’m incredibly grateful for my time here and for the remarkable people who made this place feel like home. I’ve had the joy of working alongside some of the most talented, hardworking, and genuinely wonderful people in th...