We hear from Gee Scott on his radio show. Scroll down.
97.3 KIRO-FM's mid-morning radio man Gee Scott is taking heat for deciding to emcee a Seattle World Cup game on June 19 vs. Australia, skipping his son's wedding in Ohio. People Magazine broke the story about and there has been expected criticism, including Scott being labeled a "shameless self-promoter" by local podcaster and colleague. Scott has called it the "wrong decision," adding, "I chose the job over someone I would lay down my life for." Is this worth a Red Card? Or just a Yellow?
More at this link:
https://people.com/gee-scott-sr-radio-host-missed-sons-wedding-for-world-cup-wrong-decision-12006700
Gee tells his side on the radio show Monday:

Hey Siri, play Harry Chapin and "Cats in the Cradle".
ReplyDeleteI believe he is on his fourth marriage so the fact he doesn't value that day for his son is not a surprise. And for what? He was the PA announcer for a game?
ReplyDeleteIf I were in Gee's shoes, I would have gone to the wedding and forefitted the soccer match. By working the soccer match and skipping the wedding, he sent a clear message to his son that, in his view, milestones in his career matter more than milestones in his son's life. If I were Gee's son, I would be insulted.
ReplyDeleteSupposedly, a peace was brokered, likely before the decision, and then the story broke and all heck started to break loose.
ReplyDeleteIf a peace was brokered before the decision, and Gee's son was on board with what Gee was going to do, then that changes the equation. Its not a great look for Gee to have skipped his son's wedding, but if his son was okay with it, then that should really be all that matters.
DeleteHis workmates don't seem to be lining up to defend him. I wonder if the criticism is based on political differences or perhaps something more. Personally, what's going on and what family events he attends are his business.
ReplyDeleteTo me it’s family business, between Gee and his son. I do think you have to give Gee his props, he’s come a long way from living in a car and detailing others to being a successful radio host and public speaker. The man has worked hard! Some may enjoy his act, but I’m not one of them
ReplyDeleteI have heard this story far too many times that it has certainly become overkill IMO. There are so many people that came from even darker backgrounds than Gee's. I quite frankly don't understand how Gee has this radio job when he offers nothing of any substance or relevance without inserting himself into everything. I don't want to say it was luck or anything. Its already jarring and annoying and don"t see the need for People magazine to publish this as a full blown feature. Even broadcast journalists I know have missed out on weddings, graduations because of their work. This is nothing but a pitty piece. Sorry, not sorry.
DeleteI second Rich here but I also have to ask - why is it that the Seattle organizing committee (or whoever is setting these "emcee" assignments up) is even offering Gee the opportunity to do this when there are higher-profile and more experienced PA guys locally that could have done the work. Hutyler, Chet Buchanan with the Kraken, the Sounders PA guy, and if they wanted to splurge a bit, Alan Roach out of Denver considering the nature of the World Cup being what it is. IOW why put Gee in that position to begin with?
DeleteIf People had a chance to tie into the World Cup, it was an easy marketing choice. Had to be one for Gee, too.
ReplyDeleteSeems the more vapid the personality the more the appeal
DeleteThat does seem to be how our society operates these days. Its very unfortunate, as there are many people out there who don't have vapid personalities and could have broad appeal if given the opportunity.
DeleteUnless Gee was doing something such as being the play-by-play person for the game, I don't understand it like a previous poster on here said. I am sure there were other emcees and/or personalities at this event and Gee's presence couldn't have been more of the worthwhile. I am 100 percent sure it was nothing more than just a media meet-and-greet, but to skip your son's wedding on account of this and playing the whole "woe is me" card is not going to help Gee get out of this this time. His son may be understanding of the situation, but its not like you can just "re-do" a wedding ceremony just so you correct it by being there and all is well in the world again. Its done. Over.
ReplyDelete