KOMO senior news reporter Chris Daniels has officially been dispatched to the Super Bowl. It was just a matter of time before joining Sports Director Niko Tamurian...or maybe upstaging him.
Her goodbye post below! After an almost five-year stint, FOX 13 meteorologist and part-time news anchor Abby Acone ends her run there with a final show on this Sunday morning. Married earlier this month, she left no word on what's next. Not sure if it is fully her decision, but I'm told she had 'favored nation' status with news management. Before joining 13 in December of 2021, she worked three years at KOMO and also did a stint in Tri-Cities. Fittingly, this last shot on IG is studio appropriate. I've been frequently critical of her on this site for using the station's studio to post questionable videos (IMO), but for now, good luck. Here's Abby's goodbye post: My heart is so full as I reflect on my final week at FOX 13 ❤️ 🥹 I’m incredibly grateful for my time here and for the remarkable people who made this place feel like home. I’ve had the joy of working alongside some of the most talented, hardworking, and genuinely wonderful people in th...

This move was fully expected. I'm just surprised KOMO didn't send Daniels down there at the same time they sent Niko.
ReplyDeleteBecause Daniels has more seniority than Niko. Daniels works for the NETWORK and Niko works for the AFFILIATE.
ReplyDeleteDaniels 'network' thing was a loophole to get him out of his non-compete at KING. I doubt seniority was a factor here. He was the logical choice to go and gives KOMO and him another Inside the Arena show on Saturday night at 930, a filler time slot. Sending stories to other Sinclair stations is the same as KING sending to Tegna stations.
ReplyDeleteDaniels might as well go to KIRO7 and take the sports anchor job. Sinclair hardly needs a correspondent in Seattle when all the parent companies of the other stations don't have a local correspondent on staff as well. Daniels just wants more screen time if anything.
ReplyDeleteDoes Daniels even do that many national stories anymore? 99% of the time I see him, he is covering a local story strictly for KOMO.
DeleteMinimal, I would say, if that.
ReplyDeleteIMHO Daniels was a better reporter when he was at KING. His reporting as a Senior Reporter for Sinclair is just for more airtime and usurp Niko of his job. Daniels can still have that news credibility if he was working a sports job and well, KIRO could use that. He could build a team there and at very least give it some of the competitive "umph" that 7 desperately needs. Even Sports Director is a better title than Senior Reporter. You can be on five (or six) nights a week instead of two or three days.
ReplyDeleteDaniels became senior reporter at KING after Jim Forman left. I believe that his formaer boss at KING, when he took a corporate job at Sinclair in Baltimore, wanted to hurt KING and help KOMO by recruiting Daniels for an initial gig with its Spotlight show. Meanwhile, your idea about Chris becoming KIRO7 sports director is unlikely unless the station wanted to make a big deal out of reviving its sports dept, given the Mariners and Hawks success and the potential for a Sonics return. Seattle is back in the big time now and maybe for a good while, so it would be prescient to get back in the ballgame. However, it would be up to major cost-cutting Cox/Apollo to make that happen. I have posted that I think Daniels wants a corporate comm job with the Sonics if and when they return. He has and is postitioning himsefl for it by inserting himself into sports coverage and his podcast with Niko. He's the star and leader of it, not NT.
Delete