Her goodbye post below! After an almost five-year stint, FOX 13 meteorologist and part-time news anchor Abby Acone ends her run there with a final show on this Sunday morning. Married earlier this month, she left no word on what's next. Not sure if it is fully her decision, but I'm told she had 'favored nation' status with news management. Before joining 13 in December of 2021, she worked three years at KOMO and also did a stint in Tri-Cities. Fittingly, this last shot on IG is studio appropriate. I've been frequently critical of her on this site for using the station's studio to post questionable videos (IMO), but for now, good luck. Here's Abby's goodbye post: My heart is so full as I reflect on my final week at FOX 13 ❤️ 🥹 I’m incredibly grateful for my time here and for the remarkable people who made this place feel like home. I’ve had the joy of working alongside some of the most talented, hardworking, and genuinely wonderful people in th...
MEDIA MAVEN - Publishing media news and opinion (with some sarcasm and humor) in the Pacific Northwest, covering Seattle TV talent and programming & even a litte beyond. Maybe even some sports. Retired longtime broadcast journalist and manager in multiple top markets, ex-writing prof at UW and PLU in WA St., wrote Season of the 76ers (2002) and a new horror novel, Blood Stained Papers. Kent State and American U Masters alum, Pittsburgh native. Copyright 2025-26 All Rights Reserved
.png)
The only possible reason I could see for making such a statement would be if police had somehow been called to the scene before the shots were fired. But that doesn't appear to be what happened here. Harris may have made an accurate statement. But it also seems to have been a rather unnecessary one.
ReplyDeleteI’m glad you watch the local news every day. I’m still interested but reading about it seems to be more informative .
ReplyDeleteRich
When I know there is real breaking news I try to catch at least the lead stories on the stations. I was watching Muir on ABC and then saw the KOMO top story to which I referred.
ReplyDeleteI think the content on local news has diminished. There was a time when local media had investigators and reporters who held local government accountable. I’m thinking of Susanna Frame or Linda Brill to name a few.
ReplyDeleteHas the public lost interest or have budgets been reduced? Is local tv journalism no longer profitable enough to support quality?
Rich
My opinion is 1) cost cutting mandated by corporate because of declining ratings and, thus, lower ad prices 2) the hiring of younger, less expensive staff as veterans leave the industry because of buyouts, work/life balance issues and consolidation impacts 3) short attention span audiences who want short bytes of info on their phones (too busy to watch TV news and long form, investigation reporting). 4) limited access to newsmakers who hide behind twitter/x and websites to control information flow. Too many PIOs in the way. 5) the overall loss of faith and trust in the news media brought on in part by the media themselves and by public attacks by those in power. A few ideas.
ReplyDeleteYou’re exactly right!
ReplyDeleteRich