Her goodbye post below! After an almost five-year stint, FOX 13 meteorologist and part-time news anchor Abby Acone ends her run there with a final show on this Sunday morning. Married earlier this month, she left no word on what's next. Not sure if it is fully her decision, but I'm told she had 'favored nation' status with news management. Before joining 13 in December of 2021, she worked three years at KOMO and also did a stint in Tri-Cities. Fittingly, this last shot on IG is studio appropriate. I've been frequently critical of her on this site for using the station's studio to post questionable videos (IMO), but for now, good luck. Here's Abby's goodbye post: My heart is so full as I reflect on my final week at FOX 13 ❤️ 🥹 I’m incredibly grateful for my time here and for the remarkable people who made this place feel like home. I’ve had the joy of working alongside some of the most talented, hardworking, and genuinely wonderful people in th...
MEDIA MAVEN - Publishing media news and opinion (with some sarcasm and humor) in the Pacific Northwest, covering Seattle TV talent and programming & even a litte beyond. Maybe even some sports. Retired longtime broadcast journalist and manager in multiple top markets, ex-writing prof at UW and PLU in WA St., wrote Season of the 76ers (2002) and a new horror novel, Blood Stained Papers. Kent State and American U Masters alum, Pittsburgh native. Copyright 2025-26 All Rights Reserved

I don't know how many television news anchors these days write their own material from the "top" to the "end" (if I remember my TV news writing terms correctly). I know there are producers who do that, but I can tell you that some of these producers need to proof their material before it is read by the anchor. Not that the producer needs their hand to be held, but the anchor still has the responsibility to authenticate it in some way before air, let alone debate (editorially) on the placement of the story. Television, particularly live television, is a beast. Spelling perfectly may not seem to be important if you're working in broadcast, but it is the facts that matter no matter what the medium is: radio, print, Web, etc. I can tell you when I was at KOMO first-hand that Dan Lewis wrote his own copy and questions. What's next? An anchor misreads "fire-farters" instead of "firefighters" or misidentifying a new Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor as "Bengay"! I'll show myself out.
ReplyDelete