Another Media Maven Exclusive Interview!

 


With a new NFL football season officially starting next Thursday, we check in exclusively with Dave Wyman, an all-time Seattle Seahawks great, popular drive-time sports radio host on KIRO 710 here, and working as the color analyst for the Seahawks radio broadcasts since 2017.   He jump started his on-air career with Northwest Cable News and KCPQ-13 in the 2000s.    Here we go:

Q.  Dave, you have forged a great second career in broadcasting after retiring from football in the mid-90s.  How did you make that transition and how has your football knowledge helped in front of the microphone?

A.  I think I discovered that being a former player is valuable not because I know the game inside and out, but because I know how hard it is to win individual battles and games. That's something that only an ex-player can understand so I lean on that. (Btw there are people who understand the schemes of offenses and defenses better than I do and they didn't play football.  There is room for everybody!). People want to understand the game in simple terms and be entertained.

Q.  What goes into your personal and professional preparation working a daily radio show with the talented Bob Stelton at a top Seattle station?

A.  Still figuring that part out.....after 13+ years. Most days, I'm terrified that I will run out of things to say.  Like being a player before a game, that terror sharpens you so you MUST go through it every day.  I read and write and try to have a depth of information so that 50% of my prep doesn't get used. When you have someone to collaborate with, it's the best situation....you get synergy.  1+1= 3.  Had that with Danny O'Neill and Jessamyn McIntyre early on so that helped launch my career early on.

Q.  What is it like in the broadcast booth working alongside another great former Seahawk, Steve Raible?

A.  Steve Raible is the best play by play radio man in the NFL.  The End.
In 1989 when I was a player and Raibs was doing color on the radio alongside the great Pete Gross, Raibs and I had a 4-hour conversation on a plane ride home from Cincinnati that flew by.  At the time I was vaguely aware that there was a radio broadcast covering the games I played in, and that Steve was calling the games like I am now. I remember that particular plane ride home because we still have those conversations on the many bus rides to SEATAC, on the plane to places like New Orleans and Detroit, on the bus rides to the hotel on the road, and most importantly, during the game.  It is just such a natural interaction between us and I think that shines through in the broadcasts.  Mostly, I try to stay out of his way so he can make his well known calls like, "Touchdown Seahawks!" "He got knocked on his wallet!" and "Holy Catfish!" Raibs is a gem and an icon in Seattle and NFL history.  Don't tell him I said this. 

Q.  The Seahawks opener is Sept. 8, so give us your quick insight on the offense.

A.  When QB Geno Smith said that there were a lot of plays that new offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb had, that he had never seen before, I was intrigued.  Geno is a 2-time Pro Bowler and a 10-year veteran in the NFL.  How can that be?  Another thing I heard from Grubb is that "We are going to take chances."  When I think of that, I think of Geno letting it loose to DK Metcalf.  There were too many times that Smith didn't "uncork" it to DK last year and I don't think it was because he didn't want to. I look forward to those opportunities.

Q.  And what about the defense, Dave?

A. This defense will be improved.  If I were to describe what I've seen in the pre-season and camp, the words would be "attack" and "discipline"  Pass coverage wise, look for the middle of the field to be well covered against the pass. Against the run, expect running plays by opponents to be "attacked"  

Thanks, Dave, have great shows, a successful season and safe travels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slicing Staff in Seattle TV

Seattle Cops Chief of Staff Collateral Damage?

Major 'Evening' Departure in Seattle